February 15, 2018
Can you remember the last time you were able to eat your favorite foods without any apprehension? How long has it been since you smiled with no worries about your appearance? If you are missing teeth, these are tough questions to answer, triggering feelings of regret and disappointment. But your dentist says there are even more damaging problems to consider when it comes to the absence of your ivories. Over time, it can cause bone degeneration and facial collapse, which is why your local expert recommends dental implants in Lathrup Village. Read on to learn why this procedure is the best option for restoring your teeth and facial structure.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are titanium posts that are surgically inserted under the gum line and into your jawbone. Usually a two-step procedure, here’s how your dentist will conduct the process:
- At the first visit, your oral expert will perform the initial placement of the implant and an abutment (the piece that will attach your permanent fixture to your implant). You will spend the next few months allowing your jaw and face to heal and the implant to fuse with your bone material.
- After an adequate period of time, you will return to your dentist to have either a crown, bridge or implant-retained dentures placed.
How Do Implants Protect Your Face?
The reason that dental implants are the gold standard for restoring your missing teeth, is that they’re inserted into your jawbone. This creates the same stability as having natural roots. And what’s amazing about your teeth and jawbone is that they rely on a healthy amount of tension to trigger the production of more healthy bone material. Thus, when you have missing ivories, there is a lapse in communication, which leads to bone degeneration over time.
How Long Can Implants Last?
Another great benefit of dental implants, is that when properly cared for, they can last up to a lifetime. Proper maintenance involves the following:
- Practicing Excellent Oral Hygiene – More than likely, the problem that led to the loss of your teeth was bacteria growth, so you want to guard against this happening again by brushing and flossing at least twice a day.
- Avoiding Teeth Grinding (Bruxism) – Bruxism definitely needs to be addressed because it can wear down your new fixture and cause your implant to unseat from the pressure. If necessary, your implant dentist in Lathrup Village can create a mouthguard for you to wear when you sleep, as well as recommend ways to deal with any anxieties that may be leading to your teeth grinding.
- Maintaining Regular Dentist Visits – One of the greatest assets available to you is your local dentist and the semi-annual visits you attend for cleanings and checkups. These will help to clear away any bacteria, plaque and tartar. They will also allow your local professional to monitor your posts and overall oral health.
With your new dental implants, you will be able to regain the confidence that has eluded you for so long and ensure that your jaw integrity will be maintained for years to come. To schedule an appointment to meet with your dentist, reach out today!
About the Author
Dr. Jeffrey M. Solomon earned his DDS from the University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry. Since then he has continued to hone his skills through multiple modalities and remains affiliated with several professional organizations. He practices at Signature Smiles and can be reached for more information through his website.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.